KT Comments

May 28, 2013

We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle Review Analysis Response
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

I was gifted this book in an e-book format without any covers or details. I didn't know the genre or background. I didn't know anything except that it was supposed to be a quick and good read.

I always imagined a horror book to be different. I didn't even realize We Have Always lived in the Castle was a horror until I was through most of it - and I'm so glad. I think when we pick up a book and expect it to be scary, romantic, literary or thought-provoking, it changes the way the book is read. I went into this book without any preconceived notion - other than the notion not to have any preconceived notion. I like not knowing. For a good part of the introduction, I had no certainty of knowing what genre I was reading. That was half the mystery for me. I was told to go into this book with an open mind. (At some point of the first few pages, I was open to the idea of Mary and Constance being mysterious vampire girls.) We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a chilling, haunting and quick read. I wish I could say more about it, but I think it is sufficient to say that it strikes fear in a most understated way. It's not even scary - but it is chilling, as Mary would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment